In the year 1954 there were 11 different organizations that went together and set out to do something for the kids of the community. They agreed to purchase property to build a park, a park that had ball field’s playgrounds, tennis courts, picnic area and an ice skating pond and more. The organizations found the property, it belonged to Harry Norris who was a grocer in Withamsville at the time, and he agreed to sell the 30 acres for the sum of $ 8000.00. That was great! but were was the money coming from to purchase the property?
The 11 organizations came up with $4000.00 as down payment and the rest was financed. At the time of the purchase the park had no access so the board members went to Mr Rohling
And ask for a right of way. He agreed, under one condition , that the road was to be constructed to the counties specifications, and after it was built it had to be dedicated to the county. This happened in 1955.
Also in 1954 the board obtained a state charter as a non-profit organization to maintain and operate a park and playgrounds for the children of the community. The park needed money to survive so the board decided to have a festival and also ask for donations, door to door.
The festival went well money was made and things looked good. These festivals took place for several years after the property was purchased. The first ball field was built about 1954 or early 1955. It was not until 1958 that a backstop was constructed on field # 1.
1960 the best news that anyone could hear was after the festival that the mortgage was paid off the land was free and clear. In 1960 the second ball field was built with a backstop, and a concession stand was built on field #1 in the same year.
In 1961 the girls softball league was formed it was W G A A Withamsville Girls Athletic Association. With as much use and as many teams boy’s and Girl’s there was a need for more ball fields so about 1962 the 3rd field was built.
A shelter house had been in the planning stages for a long time so in Dec 1964 ground breaking took place by Burtha Pieper and then it was under construction, it was built as a multipurpose building, first it was a meeting hall for the 11 organizations, second it was a shelter house, third it was a hall that dances were held in for the youth of the community. This was not all it was used for but that was the main things.
In May of 1976 the restrooms and the tractor shed was added on the concession stand on field #1 this was a big help!
As the years went by the park had growing pains again, so 2 more ball fields were added in 1977, But there was more trouble, the request for a bingo license was turned down, and the state came in and closed the bingo, and at this time we had 2 Bingos a week. Construction on the ball fields had to stop with on money.
Eventually the park got its license and the fields we know as #5 #6 got built, They were built for knothole use, with pitcher mounds and large infields.
Over the years youth football had been practicing on the outfield of the ball fields. They had no field to call home so Mr Lew Kaiser and some others decided to do something about it. They started a football field at W-T Park and about 1979 it was finished, at that time it was called Pee Wee football kids up to 12 years could play. Then a young mans league came along and was playing on the field also, but that did not last long.
In 1954 the 11 organizations that though enough of our youth to take the time to start this park and keep it running were as follows:
Withamsville Tobasco P.T.A.
Withamsville Tobasco Civic Club
Upper Clough Civic Club
Withamsville Fire Dept.
Union heights Lions Club of Withamsville
Union Township Trustees
St Thomas More Church
St Thomas More P.T.A.
Mt Moriah Methodist Church
Withamsville Tobasco Athletic Assn.
The Fair Meadows Garden Club.
Today, the park is home to Withamsville Girls Softball Association (WGSA) and WT Baseball Association (WTBA). These youth organizations participate in girls fast-pitch softball, knothole baseball and t-ball. WGSA is a member of the Southern Ohio Softball League (SOSLI), and WTBA is a member of Clermont County Knothole. Between the two organizations more than 500 youths call WT Park home and thousands more from Clermont and Brown Counties visit the park each year to play games.